Reading Buddies is the Grande Prairie Public Library's summer program that pairs struggling readers who have just finished grades 1 to 3 with teen volunteers for a summer of reading, literacy activities, and general fun!
We'll have more information about registration (for younger participants) and volunteering (for teens) in May 2019.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do teachers need to recommend children before they sign up for Reading Buddies?
- The decision to submit an application is entirely up to children and their parents.
- Applications are processed in the order of their arrival, and the total number of spaces available will depend on the number of teens who volunteer for the program.
- The Reading Buddies Coordinator will contact parents to confirm registrations in the week following the application deadline.
- Reading Buddies is intended to supplement existing English-language reading skills.
- We cannot guarantee that French-speaking volunteers will be available.
- Reading Buddies is limited to children finishing grades 1 to 3.
- For older children, we recommend participation in the Summer Reading Game and our other summer drop-in programs.