Reading Buddies is the Grande Prairie Public Library's summer program that pairs struggling readers who have just finished grades 1 to 3 with teen volunteers for a summer of reading, literacy activities, and general fun!
Registration will open on Sunday, May 26th. If you would like to volunteer to be a Reading Buddy, please fill out an application form. All applications are due back Sunday, June 16th. Please bring applications to the Children's Information Desk, located on the second floor of GPPL.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do teachers need to recommend children before they sign up for Reading Buddies?
- The decision to submit an application is entirely up to children and their parents.
- Applications are processed in the order of their arrival, and the total number of spaces available will depend on the number of teens who volunteer for the program.
- The Reading Buddies Coordinator will contact parents to confirm registrations in the week following the application deadline.
- Reading Buddies is intended to supplement existing English-language reading skills.
- We cannot guarantee that French-speaking volunteers will be available.
- Reading Buddies is limited to children finishing grades 1 to 3.
- For older children, we recommend participation in the Summer Reading Game and our other summer drop-in programs.