Reading Buddies is the Grande Prairie Public Library's summer program that pairs struggling readers who have just finished grades 1 to 3 with teen volunteers for a summer of reading, literacy activities, and general fun!
Application forms for Reading Buddies may be picked up from the Children's Information Desk at GPPL or downloaded here:
Completed applications may be returned to the Children's Information Desk upstairs at GPPL.
Important Dates for 2018
- Thursday, May 17 - Application forms will be available
- Sunday, June 17 at 5:00 pm - Application deadline
- Tuesday, June 26 to Thursday, June 28 - Training for volunteers
- Tuesday, July 3 - Reading Buddies programs start
- Saturday, August 25 - Reading Buddies programs end
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do teachers need to recommend children before they sign up for Reading Buddies?
- The decision to submit an application is entirely up to children and their parents.
- Applications are processed in the order of their arrival, and the total number of spaces available will depend on the number of teens who volunteer for the program.
- The Reading Buddies Coordinator will contact parents to confirm registrations in the week following the application deadline.
- Reading Buddies is intended to supplement existing English-language reading skills.
- We cannot guarantee that French-speaking volunteers will be available.
- Reading Buddies is limited to children finishing grades 1 to 3.
- For older children, we recommend participation in the Summer Reading Game and our other summer drop-in programs.
For any other questions or concerns, please contact Kristen at 780-357-7476 or firstname.lastname@example.org