Cosplay Contest Rules & Regulations:
- Please use discretion when deciding on a costume. Gore, graphic violence, nudity (or the appearance of nudity), profanity, and political/religious statements will NOT be allowed (please adhere to the Library Code of Conduct [below]). Libricon is a family friendly event, so please keep all costumes appropriate. Because everyone has a different definition of what is considered to be a questionable outfit, the contest staff will have the final say!
- Each contestant may only enter one costume into the competition.
- Pre-registration will open September 24 and run to October 12. We will have a registration table running during LibriCon from 10 am to 11:30 am in order to pick up your Registration Number.
- For safety reasons, please wear footwear at all times.
- Personal belongings should NOT be left unattended! As we are unable to provide a secure area for personal items, contestants are responsible for their own belongings.
- Any contestants under the age of 13 MUST have a guardian present.
- Any and all weapons &/or props must be made of plastic or foam and obviously fake. Weapons/props which do not meet this guideline will not be permitted. No blades and no projectiles. Security on site reserves the right to confiscate any weapons which do not meet these criteria.
- All prizes will be awarded during the closing ceremonies. Prize Categories: Adult, 12 & Under, Group, & Professional.
- Professional costumes are store-bought or professionally-made costumes that make up 60% or more of your costume.
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY CONTESTANTS NOT ADHERING TO THE RULES & REGULATIONS FROM THE CONTEST AND HAVE SECURITY ESCORT THEM FROM THE BUILDING.
Things to keep in mind when cosplaying:
- We strongly urge you to choose a costume that is comfortable to wear.
- Remember that you may be standing (or walking around) for long periods of time. Make sure you have drinks and snacks with you. Esquires will be selling refreshments.
- Keep it clean! LibriCon is for all ages. Please respect that.
- Follow all directions given to you by the staff. We’re here to help.
- No mock-fights or rough-housing. Foul language or gestures will not be tolerated. Keep LibriCon safe and enjoyable for everyone.
GPPL's Code of Conduct:
For the comfort and safety of all users and staff of the Grande Prairie Public Library (GPPL), the following rules must be respected. Violation of any of these rules may result in suspension or restriction of library privileges, including banning from library premises. Criminal offences may result in prosecution.
- Only registered assistance animals are allowed in the library.
Phones and other devices
- Personal electronic devices must be used in a manner that does not disturb others.
- Upper and lower body clothing and footwear must be worn.
Disruptive behavior and language
- Behavior that interferes with any person’s comfort or use of GPPL is not allowed.
- Threatening, abusive, harassing language or behavior toward staff or other users is not allowed.
- No person shall beg or sell services, goods or merchandise.
- No person shall distribute or post materials without permission from GPPL staff.
- No person shall traffic in, consume, or appear to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs and substances.
Food and drink
- No food or drink is permitted in the Isabel Campbell Room or when operating GPPL’s computer equipment or other devices.
- Only beverages with a lid are permitted in the remainder of the building.
- Sleeping is not allowed.
- Feet must not be placed on the furniture.
Public Internet use
- Use of the Internet for criminal activity is not allowed.
Smoking or vaping is not allowed.
- Bicycles are not allowed in the library.
- Other sports equipment (skateboards, inline skates etc.) must not be used inside the library.
Theft / Damage to property
- Stealing, damaging, or vandalizing GPPL property is prohibited by law.
- Cutting or removing pages or articles from books or magazines, and writing in/on GPPL materials, equipment, furniture and walls is not allowed.
- Users may not alter GPPL’s computer/network settings, disconnect GPPL computers, or connect personal computers or devices to any GPPL network unless the network is specifically identified for public use.
- Children 8 years and under must be within sight of a parent/caregiver at all times while visiting GPPL.
- Children 9-11 years may use GPPL independently, provided their parent/caregiver remains in the building.